End of Grade / Common Core Program
- A volunteer-based tutoring program for elementary and middle schools in low-to-moderate income neighborhoods
- Aims to close the grade-level proficiency gap for elementary and middle school students
- End of Grade and Common Core Math & English curriculum tutored by high school students in preparation for End of Grade tests
- Taught on school premises over the course of 5 weeks to students identified by school administrators
- Connects students in need with driven high-schoolers with a passion for community action
Mar 2018 - Guy Emanuel Elementary School, Union City, CA
The program led by Shooting Stars Foundation at Guy Emanuele Elementary School gave high schoolers an opportunity to give back to their own community and help the underprivileged here in North California. The students created a five week program with math and english curriculum to help prepare the kids for their upcoming SBAC exam. With support from the Guy Emanuel community and determination from the kids and tutors, the programs intent to help increase SBAC testing scores was successful.
Mar 2018 – Caesar Chavez Academy - East Palo Alto, CA
In spring of 2018, Shooting Stars started working with underprivileged students in East Palo Alto. After working with the school district's activities coordinator, Shooting Stars' tutors were placed with a fourth grade class in Cesar Chavez Academy. They would provide homework help once a week to the students while they were at school. They also brought in activities and games related to Common Core concepts. This provided additional academic support to these students.
May 2018 – Barringer Academic Center - Charlotte, NC
In Charlotte, North Carolina, high schoolers reconnected with their elementary school principal and created a five-week program designed to help 20 students excel on their final exams. At Barringer Academic Center, the fundamentals of math and reading were reinforced in an engaging curriculum that saw a 50% increase in student performance. And over the course of the program, the growth and determination of the students helped reinforce the high schoolers’ passion and drive for community service.